Thursday, October 14, 2010

A 39-year old dream

At age 17, I dreamt of writing the great Canadian novel.  I planned to get a general B.A. and take a few years off to travel and write about my experiences.

But when push came to shove, I  gave in to my practical Italian side. Instead, I majored in mathematics and  pursued a teaching career. I planned to teach during the day and spend my evenings, weekends and holidays churning out best-selling novels.

How hard could it be? The school day ended in mid-afternoon, and I had 12 weeks of holiday time. That would give me plenty of time to devote to my true passion.

That was the dream.

The reality was very different.

Even though I had many satisfying and fulfilling moments throughout my career, I found the teaching profession to be a very challenging and demanding one. I never had the time and energy to start a writing practice.

Two years ago, I decided to take advantage of early retirement.

So far, I have no regrets. I am spending more time with family and friends and experimenting with a variety of hobbies and activities.

The writing dream is still alive and well. I write almost every day and have sold many of my articles and book reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment