A few years ago, I learned that I was on the bottom end of the acceptable range and took a supplement for three months. My levels are now closer to the higher end and I am determined to keep them up there.
A few interesting facts from the show...
- Almost 47 million Americans are deficient in this super vitamin. I suspect the Canadian percentages are similar.
- In Japan, the average Vitamin B12 levels are higher.
- Left unchecked, Vitamin B12 deficiencies can lead to irreversible nerve damage and dementia.
- Up to 30 percent of people over the age of 50 do not secrete enough stomach acid to absorb adequate amounts of B12.
- There is no upper limit of safety with this vitamin. We do not have to worry about having too much in our system.
I was interested in the three recipes Kate presented on the show: B12 Boosting Parfait, Bason Slides and Clam Pasta. She strongly believes that bison is the "meat to eat" and recommends that we buy 100% grass fed bison or 99% extra lean grass-fed beef. In addition to clams, she also recommended sardines, trout and salmon.
Check out the Recipes section on the Dr. Oz website.