Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Iron Lady

 Meryl Streep delivered an outstanding performance as Margaret Thatcher in the film, The Iron Lady. She captured all the nuances of the former British prime minister, including her accent. I wouldn't be surprised if she received the Oscar for Best Actress.

But I was disappointed in the film. It focuses, too much I believe, on Lady Thatcher's continuing battle with dementia. Based around a series of imagined conversations with her dead husband, she appears as a frail, confused woman. I would have liked to have seen more footage of her rise to power, in particular the early days of her career.

I can understand why the film was criticized in Britain. Her family, friends and supporters would find it very difficult to sit through many of the scenes in this film.

Watch the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment