Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Club Night


While the group was a large one, the discussion was a bit subdued. A bit of the February blahs?

Three ladies did not like the book. One was very disturbed by some of the graphic and violent scenes. She actually had nightmares and couldn't sleep.

The rest of us enjoyed reading When Will There Be Good News?  The third in a series of books dealing with retired detective Jackson Brodie, the book opens with an act of shocking violence. Six-year old Joanna is spared but her mother, sister and brother are brutally murdered by a complete stranger.

The rest of the book focuses on the present, 30 years after the incident. A series of events are told through the four protagonists--Reggie, Jackson Brodie, Joanna Hunter and Louise Munroe.

At first, I was put off by the number of coincidences in the book. It seemed a bit far-fetched that so many characters could be connected and somehow meet at the same place. But it did not stop me from reading the book in two sittings. I could not put it down for too long.

Afterward, I went back and read the first book in the series, Case Histories. I wanted more of the back story.

I am looking forward to reading the other two books in the series: One Good Turn and Started Early, Took My Dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment